It has taken established businesses some time to realize social media is not just perusing Facebook with your friends, but rather a great way to expand your brand quickly.
If your company is not involved with some sort of social media like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, or any of the many other social media outlets flooding the market, your business eventually may suffer. Like much raw talent that is being discovered using YouTube, savvy business owners are getting their heads out of the sand and jumping on board the social media bandwagon. It is the 21st century folks, and if you don’t want to get left behind you better climb on board.
For many business owners over 50, technology may have passed you up. And you may not want to join the revolution. In that case you better plan to take some of that advertising money and hire a good social media person. Here are five reasons why:
• First – As stated above, we are in the 21st century and times have changed. Business is not always conducted on the golf course like the good old days. Keeping your business life and social life separate has become a blurred line that needs constant attention.
• Second – Unlike many other forms of advertising and getting your name out in the market place, it is inexpensive. You may already have a staffer on board capable of handling the responsibility. If not, you can outsource the job to others fairly inexpensively.
• Third – Any businessman knows how important Branding is and this is a great way to get your name in front of potential customers whether you are selling products or services. You definitely need consistency to help build a reputation that people can trust. There are more expensive ways to do this but social media gives you a way to interact directly with your customers by getting feedback.
• Fourth – Through social media, you not only give information but you can also receive feedback thereby eliminating focus groups and lengthy surveys. You can target your market using hash tags and other criteria to direct your messages.
• Fifth – The more followers you have, the easier it is to spread your message. Look at celebrities like Ellen DeGeneres, Jimmy Fallon, Jimmy Kimmel, Oprah and on and on. Even presidential candidates have taken to using Twitter as well. It’s a wonderful way of reaching a lot of people you would never have the opportunity to connect with as well as getting a quick message to them. You can use more than one medium such as using Twitter to drive people to your Facebook page. You can introduce new products in Pinterest. LinkedIn is a great way to let peers know who you are and what you do and have done.
It was just a few years ago, when it became apparent as a business that you would need a website. We are well past that stage and we now have to drive people to your website. Social media is the modern way to do that. So lets not get left behind.
By Jerry Mohr for the 50 Plus Report