When thinking about the holidays it is often easy to over look the needs of your pets. While dressing a dog or cat in a cute Christmas sweater or Halloween costume is usually what most people think about, there are more things people should consider for their pets. Some pets do not handle holidays well; their owners know which pets these are since their emotions range from being too excited to being scared of all the changes around them. Pet parents may not know what exact things can affect their pet during the holiday season and may be surprised that basic holiday décor can actually be very detrimental to the health of their pet. With Halloween just around the corner here are some things to consider for this holiday season so that everyone in our family can stay safe.
Cords and electrical wiring are some of most common reasons for pet injuries during the holidays. Most decorating consists of holiday lights or light up decorations now a days, these cords can be chewed through and cause shocks or burns to any pet. They should be kept out of reach of any pets.
Holiday candles are an easy holiday item that people will over look in regards to their pets. Some people will light candles to bring holiday smells into their home or light up a spooky Jack-o-lantern this season, but people need to watch them closely. A curious pet can easily be burned or hurt if they come too close to the flame.
Something that people do not realize can actually hurt their pets is tinsel and ornaments. Tinsel while not poisonous can actually become caught in pet’s intestines and lead ultimately to their deaths. Ornaments if broken can actually cause cuts to pet’s feet and mouths, and if not caught immediately can damage their intestinal tract and be fatal.
Be careful of any and all foods your pet is may come in contact with. Everyone knows that there is chocolate everywhere at Halloween but there are other foods your pets need to avoid. Make sure that all pets do not get fat trimmings or bones during this season. If you have nuts out during the holiday secure them in a place your pets can not get to them. These things can cause stomach upsets and possible loss of your pet.
Finally there are the holiday plants everyone places around their homes. Most people know that mistletoe and holly are poisonous to their dogs but there are some things many people don’t know that can actually hurt their pets. Pumpkins and decorative corn can cause painful stomach aches to both dogs and cats. Pine needles and poinsettias can cause oral irritations in pet’s mouths as well as vomiting which is scary to all pet parents. Keep these things out of reach of all pets, especially the pets who like to climb and jump on tables.
Now one last friendly reminder to all pet parents for this Halloween, make sure your pets stay safely in doors while there are trick or treaters out and about. While some children are kind to pets there are an increased number of injuries to pets on Halloween, especially to our feline friends. Parents please be vigilant when opening and closing doors to any treaters since pets may dart outside to see all of the festivities.
If pet parents keep these few helpful hints in mind this holiday season can be safe and fun for everyone involved.
Written by Briahna Solares for the 50 Plus Report