Natural creams, salves, and ointments have been used for hundreds of years. The healing properties of combining natural medicinal herbs with an oily base are thought to be far superior to traditional medicine and is still used by thousands of people today.
Below are a few natural creams you may wish to have on hand:
- If you are looking for some arthritis relief, this paste may work wonders for you – cayenne peppers contain a compound called capsaicin. This is easily absorbed through the skin. Mix cayenne powder with wintergreen oil to make a paste. Apply the paste to your sore or painful joints. When you apply the first time (or two) it may have a stinging sensation, but the stinging will go away. This mixture should reduce your pain significantly.
- While there are many herbal remedies for burns, there is one compress that has been shown to help with the pain of a bad burn – mix comfrey leaf and wheat germ oil together and place in a compress. This herbal compress can be applied directly to the burn and will help soothe the pain.
- Hemorrhoids can be very uncomfortable and painful. There are many herbal combinations that can be used to help reduce the pain and symptoms associated with hemorrhoids – mix powdered comfrey root into a paste and place in a poultice. This can be used for bleeding hemorrhoids. Brew a strong, warm tea with lady’s mantle, also known as yarrow. Dip a cotton ball into the warm tea and apply several times a day.
- Varicose veins can be very painful. There are two very good herbal combinations you can use to help alleviate the pain associated with varicose veins – mix ½ teaspoon of horse chestnut powder with 2 cups of water. Moisten a sterile cloth with the mixture and rub gently on the veins. This will sooth the inflamed veins. The second herbal combination is the same cream used for arthritis pain, listed above. The cayenne cream will help to relieve pain and help with the inflammation.
- Bedsores are also known as pressure sores and can occur in a variety of areas on the body, including your heel, hips, shoulder blades, and butt. These sores are very painful, but can be treated with natural creams. This should only be applied to closed wounds: mix equal amounts of goldenseal powder with Vitamin E oil. Add a small amount of honey and mix to make a paste. Apply as needed on closed wounds. This will relieve the pain and help with the healing process.
Note: Always consult your doctor before trying any new holistic alternatives. Always test any cream, salve or ointment in a small area and wait a minimum of 1 hour before applying in a large quantity to avoid any severe allergic reactions.
By Tammy Moorehead, CHHP, for the 50 Plus Report