If you are considering permanent make-up, you may want to do a little research first. While permanent make-up was once a very popular trend, it has been shown to cause some health issues, which has tapered off the trend. However, many women are still looking for ways to cover up blemished skin and for ways to cut down their beauty time.
Since permanent make-up has been named beauty tattooing, there have been some other techniques released to help give you the permanent make-up look and feel, without the risk of any health issues. Most women obtain alternatives to permanent make-up for their eye brows, eye lashes, and lips – though there are other areas some women seek help with.
Below are a few of the alternatives you may wish to consider. While some of these alternatives may not seem permanent, they do fall into that permanent category because of the length of time they last.
- Eye Brows – there are many options for eye brows, beside tattooing:
- Tinting – this gives a look similar to that of tattooing, but is less expensive and usually is organic, making it safer. It is waterproof and lasts for several days, or weeks depending on which products you use. We strongly suggest going to a professional and doing an allergy skin test prior to full application.
- Stencils – you may wish to find a reusable and pre-shaped stencil to help fill in your eye brows. You can use eye brow mascara, powder, or a pen to fill them in. Depending on what product you use, the length of time they last will vary.
- Enhancing Serum – many companies are now releasing serums that are all natural and contain botanical extracts to help you grow fuller eye brows. This may be a great alternative to using any other permanent product.
- Eye Lash – eye lash extensions are becoming more popular, and are considered permanent make-up. These extensions may give your eye lashes a longer, fuller look, however, there is a price to pay – the procedure can be expensive and is very time consuming, last upwards of 3 hours or more. In addition, the care of your lash extensions is extensive.
- Lips – while lip tattooing has decreased tremendously, many women still are looking for that full, colorful look. You may want to research some lipstick pens, lip tinting, and other products like lip “plumpers” that are designed to last several hours or days.
Many women who looked to eye tattooing and lip enhancements, have discovered that micro-art is better for them. This is a fairly new alternative to the traditional permanent make-up, as it used non-toxic mineral pigments. It takes about an hour to have this procedure done and can last up to 3 years. It is available for brows, lips, and your lash line.
Depending on what you want, and how natural you want to keep your permanent make-up, you may have to research several products to find the best alternative for you and your needs.
Please note: When trying new products we strongly suggest always doing allergy tests before total application.
By Tammy Moorehead, CHHP for the 50 Plus Report