For the last several years there has been a push for home remedies that are natural, inexpensive and easy to do. People do not want to waste their time or money on treatments that do not work or take too much time to do. Today there is a remedy that has caught on. This “treatment” is the Ayurvedic natural remedy of oil pulling. “Oil pulling,” while at first believed only to whiten teeth, has now been shown to do so much more and is considered to be an alternative treatment that has a holistic affect on a persons’ body. By simply swishing oil around the mouth a person is “pulling” all the toxic bacteria from their mouth into the oil which they simply spit out into the trash (since spitting it in the sink will clog the drains) thus getting rid of the bad bacteria that had been in their mouths. A person doesn’t need to spend hundreds of dollars trying different treatments. All they simply need to do is to go to the cooking oils in the supermarket and find sesame or coconut oil. Once a person begins oil pulling they will start to notice the benefits rather quickly.
1) The first things usually noticed are that a person’s teeth feel stronger, there is less plaque and the tongue feels cleaner. As a whole the mouth feels cleaner. If a person has any jaw pain, the pain seems to lessen with the “workout” it is getting by swishing the oil around.
2) The gums are the next thing normally noticed, they look healthier and aren’t sore any more when a person flosses or brushes their teeth.
3) Oil pulling has also been shown to prevent cavities and gingivitis as well as halitosis (bad breath). It also minimizes teeth sensitivity and allows a person to enjoy cold beverages without pain and suffering.
4) Sinuses become clearer and headaches are reduced.
5) There is also pain relief that comes from oil pulling. People have noticed that the inflammation due to arthritis is reduced and their pain is relieved.
6) Skin problems are reduced. Skin ailments such as eczema, acne, psoriasis and rashes are reduced and manageable. Also they notice that their lips are not dry and cracking and are healthy looking.
7) Last, but not least, the benefit that everyone notices is whiter teeth. There is no expensive whitening treatments needed or tedious whitening strips and or trays that need to be applied, a person simply needs to oil pull.
Oil pulling for 5 to 20 minutes a day is all that is needed to feel all these benefits. These benefits are easy to get and do not take a lot of time out of your day. In the long run oil pulling is a healthier and safer alternative to other remedies out there.
Sources: www.hellonatural.com; www.twothirtyfive.com; www.positivemed.com; www.cocowite.com