You have heard the saying, drink a glass of water first thing in the morning. Many people still make this comment today, however, there are many that believe this to be an old wives tale. The benefits of drinking water upon waking in the morning are, in fact, very beneficial. Often referred to as water therapy, the therapeutic effects of drinking water in the morning have a multitude of health benefits.
Many documented benefits of drinking water date back to the ancient medical practice of Ayurvedic medicine. Along with this ancient treatment, there have been numerous studies and findings that verify the array of health benefits associated with drinking water upon waking.
The thought is that when you awake in the morning, your body is dehydrated from your all night slumber. Since your body is made up of about 60% water, you must replenish the water your system used during the night. Your bodily systems cannot function properly without the water, which is why many people feel sluggish in the morning – they are dehydrated. Drinking water first thing in the morning is thought to not only hydrate your body, but also act as a detox mechanism. The water will purify your body’s internal system and cleanse it of all the toxins that were processed from your body’s nightly processes.
When your body is well hydrated and cleansed of toxins, it is then more readily able to absorb valuable nutrients from your food that day. At this point, you may be thinking well what if I have another liquid in the morning – the answer is no, it will not work the same. Not all liquid is created equal. Even water that has flavoring added to it is not considered pure water and affects your body very differently. Your body’s systems are very smart (like a computer) and know when you ingest pure water, versus any other liquid. Anything besides pure water is considered a food to your body and it immediately will begin to try and process it as it would a food item. Only pure water can provide the health benefits we will discuss now.
Research studies have indicated that dehydration is often times the main diagnosis to many illnesses, and that the secondary symptoms that are often treated by medical professionals, are just that – secondary symptoms to dehydration. Treat the dehydration and suddenly the secondary symptoms will go away. Some conditions that have been associated as a secondary symptom to dehydration include, rheumatoid arthritis, migraines, colitis, constipation, hypertension, sinusitis, asthma, kidney stones, anemia, diabetes, obesity, some forms of cancer, and many more. In fact, a Japanese medical society has indicated that they found water therapy to be the cure for epilepsy, arthritis, meningitis, bronchitis, diarrhea, and many other ailments.
The most popular top five advantages of drinking water upon waking are:
1. By drinking water upon waking, it is thought to cleanse your colon, making it easier for your body to absorb nutrients from your food intake. All nutrients are absorbed through your colon, so cleansing your colon is a good idea. Constipation can prevent absorption of nutrients and can cause a host of illnesses.
2. It is thought that drinking water in the morning will help to increase the production of new cell growth, including blood and muscle cells. It is no secret that production of new cells occurs constantly within your body. If you provide a healthy environment for cell growth, you stand a better chance of fighting off illnesses. Healthy cells equal a healthy you.
3. Drinking water upon waking is extremely beneficial for those looking to lose weight. Not only does it boost your metabolism by at least 24%, but it can help prevent hunger and cravings. It is thought that many people trying to lose weight constantly take dehydration for hunger. Instead of reaching for a snack, drink a glass of water.
4. Those that drink ample amounts of water in the morning, have glowing skin. Because they are removing toxins from their bodies, their skin is free of blemishes, dark spots, and the elasticity is much better, even in older ages.
5. As mentioned above, water can help prevent and fight illness. Because water helps to balance your lymph system, these glands are able to perform their normal daily functions.
As you can see, it goes without saying that you need to drink water to stay healthy. The suggested water regimen is to drink 5-6 glasses of water upon waking each morning. Do not eat or drink any other fluids at least one hour before and after. For some, this much water may be difficult. Don’t worry, start with one and work your way up. You will feel the difference and you may even notice some ailing illness start to leave!
Written by Tammy Moorehead, H.C.