As we age, we often worry about our memory and more specifically memory loss. With every detail that is forgotten, we immediately think the worse – am I developing Alzheimer’s disease? The fact is that most memory failure has nothing to do with Alzheimer’s disease. While memory loss does tend to increase with age, there are natural ways in which you can increase your memory capabilities. With proper diet and nutrition, and proper memory usage, you can maintain a sharp memory well into your 90’s.
The most common reason for memory loss is due to improper nutrition and more specifically the lack of B vitamins and amino acids. When your brain is malnourished, it is difficult for it to function properly. Here are ten ways in which you can maintain and increase your memory naturally:
- Get plenty of sleep and engage in regular exercise daily. The increase in blood flow to the brain is great for memory enhancement.
- Try to eliminate as much stress from your life as possible, as this is a memory loss enhancer.
- Try holding your breath for 30 seconds, every hour for 45 days. This will help improve your mental alertness.
- It is imperative that you get adequate amounts of the B vitamins, amino acids, iron, antioxidants, choline, and coenzyme Q10 – either in your diet or through supplements. It is preferred that you obtain these from food, as those are pure sources.
- The flavonoids in blueberries and spinach have shown to aid in memory retention.
- The following foods have shown to have memory enhancing properties – brown rice, fish, millet, wheat germ, and whole grains – you should consider adding these to your diet. Stay away from refined sugars (these tend to slow memory capacity).
- Consider eating a diet high in raw foods, as they are full of important nutrients that are good for brain function.
- Garlic is a wonder for memory enhancement. Adding garlic to your food intake or taking a garlic supplement can enhance brain function.
- If you are looking to take an herbal supplement, you might wish to consider Brahmi. This is an Ayurvedic herb, similar to Gotu Kola. It is thought to increase the circulation in your brain and can improve both short and long-term memory.
- Keep yourself mentally active. Engage your brain daily by doing puzzles, mental challenging games, and good conversation. Research has shown that the more you engage your brain, the more vital it will be!
Focusing on the things that you want to remember, will not only give them meaning, but will help your ability to recall memories. While there are numerous factors that contribute to memory loss, you can take the first step by following these simple tips above, and keep those memories for a long time to come!