As the weather is getting warmer and summer creeps closer, we find ourselves looking at our closets with fingers ready to redo our wardrobe. Every change of season gives us an opportunity to go through our closet and purge ourselves of ill fitting, worn and unused clothing. If you are having trouble seeing your wardrobe in an unbiased light try bringing in a friend that you think has great style. They can give you honest opinions of your wardrobe and even help you put together outfits you may not have previously considered. Here are a few other style tips that can help give your wardrobe an inexpensive makeover:
- When you are looking at slimming down your current wardrobe keep in mind you should still keep at least the basic pieces; a little black dress, a white blouse, a neutral cardigan, a knee-length pencil skirt, black dress pants, a pair of jeans, a solid color tee shirt, a solid color turtleneck, a jacket, a pair of heels, a pair of boots, a pair of dress flats, a pair of casual flats, and a basic handbag.
- Do you have a lot of long necklaces? Easy ways to change them up is to double them up and then add a bow with either a ribbon or a hair clip.
- Looking for a way to punch up your handbags, jackets, and scarves? Add pins and brooches to them. Hunt down fun and potentially hidden gems in thrift stores, antique shops and consignment shops.
- If you have a shirt that you love but needs updating try changing out the buttons. It is a simple switch and you don’t need to be a sewing master to do it.
- Take a silk flower clip and add it to a belt for an instant punch of color and pizzazz.
- Sometimes something as simple as changing your boring old shoe strings with bright neon shoe strings in an exciting pattern can put an extra pep in your step.
- You might have a shirt or a pair of slacks that you really loved, but they need some TLC. Try taking them to a tailor and see about giving them an update. Make a long sleeved shirt into a short-sleeved shirt or make a pair of slacks into a pair of shorts. This is an easy and inexpensive way to breathe new life into a piece of clothing.
- Interesting scarves add dimension and texture to any outfit. They can also help define your waist by layering a cool scarf over your ensemble and cinching it at your waist with a belt. Inject a leopard print into your wardrobe. Start out by adding the print to your shoes or on a clutch and if you are feeling extra bold go for a leopard dress or coat. You will be surprised at the amount of compliments you will receive. Don’t be afraid to hit Goodwill, Thrift stores and second hand shops to find those special buys. A lot of times you can find mid to high-end brands that can really perk up your wardrobe inexpensively.
- As spring rolls in you might be tempted to break out the shorts but you’ll be thinking it is still too cold. However, if you wear them with a pair of tights, you’ll be able to wear those shorts a little earlier than everyone else.
It can be a lot of fun to go shopping in your own closet. Give yourself ample time to really look over everything that you have. If you are taking the time to make over your wardrobe, consider taking the time to organize your clothing by color, style and outfits. Before you know it this will become an annual thing and who knows you might even start looking forward to it every year.
Written by Alisa Bashaw